Pages

Friday, August 21, 2026


After suffering for years from parental post-traumatic stress disorder, I often wonder where the first episode occured to trigger this syndrome.  I believe the difficulty for me loomed even when darling daughter was under age 2 and deciding on her own, she wasn't 'ready' to leave a climbing structure on a very cold winter day... after warning and reminding it was 'time'.... I decided to call her bluff and 'leave' to watch as I 'drove away' from my rear-view mirror, my young toddler waved 'bye bye' to me.   She is one tough determined kid...always as been!  Once my mother played in deep snow with her for over an hour and she only had on one boot!  This boot wasn't found until Spring.
When you have PPTSD it is an emotional numbing with flashbacks that trigger new episodes.  On a recent road trip with darling daughter (and darling son), I recalled why it is so difficult to travel with this crowd- the only blessing was that Good Sport Husband stayed home.  As soon as we opened the hotel room door, she had marked herself like a dog on the queen bed that would be 'just hers'.   This followed with the TV on and lights as though her brother and I were no where to be seen.   Like the step-children of her life, she had a full evening with computer off this 'bed' while we watched in awe.   I was futher floored when a hotel manager came in to 'fix' her internet connection.

 but never more evident than a recent road trip with darling daughter (and son) - it made me remember (like a flashback) on why it is so difficult to travel






From this parenting oddessy, I have suffered for years from post tramatic stress syndrome, in fact there are still times when I have flair ups.  I recently had one of those days.... it usually begins with going somewhere with my children and just the mention of sharing a hotel room brings back the dark feeling.  This time, I was spared good sport husband (who stayed behind ).  the lift off began with repeated texts from Darling Daughter on packing instructions of things she had forgotten.    Then while on this road trip I drove straight for 4 hours until finding our hotel room.  

  A rare occasion but this trip was not optional (a funeral). 

No comments:

Post a Comment