Pages

Friday, August 21, 2026

Have Stress Will Travel

As stated in a previous blog, my children are from a very murky gene pool.  ADHD comes to them from a very definite genetic link through their father.   Not be undone, they also have a further connection with another very high-energy relative (my mother) ... Grammie has always had unbridled energy, stubbornness (like no other) and endless determination to get her way (with everything) .... she is always busy - busy doing many things at one time.  and she would personally shoot me if I revealed her true age.  (note: this is a woman who lies about MY age)  The bi-product of this gene pool is organizational issues;  lost purse, keys, sunglasses and anything else in her path.   Darling Daughter is a younger version of my Mother so they get along famously.

Back in the 'old-days' when ADHD was completely unknown Grammie reminisced about how her own father had a great cure for ADHD... a handy belt :)   ... hence, her continued advice to me in my children's younger years was always 'I'm just not tough enough'  or my favorite comment -  'If they lived at my house- they'd be D.O.A.' !

Last week while visiting Grammie I let my guard down.... (I'm becoming a new person since one layer of stress is a bit contained since Darling Daughter is living in a college dorm.... I should have known better on this one.  Afterall, I have years of experience looking for Grammie's purse, keys, sunglasses and overall just keeping 'up' with things in my own surroundings and hers...  so imagine my surprise, when we returned from an outing to find exploded hard boiled eggs burning away on her gas stove!  What a mess....and the smell was beyond. Not to mention we are lucky it didn't burn her house down!  Upon discovery, I turned to my Mother and said ..... "You're officially OLD"... in her usual flippant way, she said "Oh, I do this all the time!" .....  It wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for -  funny though, I did have to shake my head and agree with her.   So the stress-gap for me has been filled - there is no escape.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment